DIRECTIONS to sites are from the Visitors Information Stationin parking lot at Eugene O'Neill
Drive & Golden Street.
It is one block south of State Street (Captain's Walk) in Downtown New London. Eugene O'Neill Drive is one-way south.
Antientest Burial Ground
Ye Antientest Burial Ground between Hempstead and Huntington Streets just outside of downtown New London was set aside for burial in 1652 and many of the early settlers, several of whom played important roles in this country's history, are interred there. Also in the cemetery are some of the oldest-known graves of early Black colonists. It was maintained by the town until 1793 and families owning plots continued to use it until 1845. As were many ancient cemeteries, this one was situated on a hill providing a scenic view for the resting souls. Benedict Arnold is said to have stood at this high elevation during the Revolution in 1781 to watch his British troops conquer Fort Griswold in Groton across the river and then burn New London.
Fort Trumbull State Park 1839-1850>
DIRECTIONS: South on Eugene O'Neill to end. Left on Tilley, right at light. At next light, left on Howard. Go under RR trestle to Walbach St
Hempsted Houses 17th/18thC
The Joshua Hempsted House is the oldest house in New London and one of the few remaining 17th century houses in the state. Hempsteds lived in the house until 1937. It is now owned and operated by the Antiquarian and Landmarks society of Connecticut.
These are two important survivals of colonial New England. The Johsua Hempsted House is one of the oldest documented frame buildings in North America.
The property was once on the shore of Bream Cove, which has been filled in. Careful restoration and original furnishings allow you to step back in time to when New London was a leading seaport.
Documentation suggests that the houses played a role in freeing slaves and they are listed on the sites of Connecticut's Underground Railroad that are open to the public.
Lighthouse Inn, 1902
DIRECTIONS FROM INFORMATION STATION (3.5 mile): South on Eugene O'Neill to end. Left on Tilley, right at light. At next light, left on Howard. Around rotary under railroad trestle & right onto Pequot. (Follow signs to Ocean Beach). After passing a lighthouse on left, Guthrie Place third street on right. Look for signs to Inn.
Monte Cristo Cottage
DIRECTIONS FROM INFORMATION STATION (2 miles): South on Eugene O'Neill Drive to end. Left on Tilley, right at light. At next light, left on Howard. Around rotary, under railroad trestle & right onto Pequot. (Follow signs) Cottage is on right after Fred's Shanty. It's set back so look carefully.
Nathan Hale Schoolhouse
Nathan Hale, who was hanged as a spy September 22, 1776, by the British during our Revolutionary War, was teaching here when he enlisted. He was an officer in the Connecticut militia and took part in the seige of Boston before volunteering for the dangerous mission of getting information about the British on Long Island.
DIRECTIONS FROM INFORMATION STATION (2 blocks): Walk toward river on Golden Street. Turn left on Bank Street. Walk straight ahead to Schoolhouse.
N. L. Superior Courthouse, 1784
DIRECTIONS: North 1 block on Eugene O'Neill to State. Turn left. (.3 mile)
N. L. Landmarks Office, ca 1796
DIRECTIONS: Follow directions to Starr Street. Walk to end. On left across Washington Street.
N. L. Ledge Lighthouse 1909
N. L. Harbor Lighthouse 1801
N. L. Public Library 1890
DIRECTIONS FROM INFORMATION STATION (5 blocks): Walk north one block on Eugene O'Neill Drive, left on State Street to top.
Old Town Mill, 1650
DIRECTIONS: South 1 block on Eugene O'Neill Drive. Left & left again onto Bank Street. Right at end of Bank & left in front of RR Station. Right at second light & left at next one. Mill on right under bridge. (1 mile)
Pequot Chapel, 1871
Robert Mills US Custom House & Museum, 1833
150 Bank Street, New London, CT 860-447-2501
DIRECTIONS FROM INFORMATION STATION (2 blocks): Walk toward river on Golden Street & go right on Bank Street.
Yes! George Washington did sleep here on the second of his two visits to New London. On his first visit to New London, he was an officer in the British Army. The second time, when he stayed at the Shaw Mansion, he was commanding Americans who had taken up arms against the British. The bed he slept in is no longer in the mansion, but the table he ate at is. The mansion also served as Connecticut's Naval Office during the Revolution.
The house was built for Captain Nathaniel Shaw, a wealthy shipowner and trader. There are lovely grounds and period gardens. An 1780 Gazebo stands at a high point and just below it is an old root cellar. In addition to antiques, paintings, clothing, and period pieces, the mansion contains extensive genealogical records and is open to researchers by appointment.
DIRECTIONS FROM INFORMATION STATION (3/10ths mile): Walk toward river on Golden Street, go right on Bank. Mansion just after fire station
Soldiers & Sailors Monument, 1896
Starr Street, 19th Century Houses
DIRECTIONS: South 2 blocks on Eugene O'Neill Dive.
Trolley Waiting Station, 1893
DIRECTIONS TO INFORMATION STATION: Walking from the Transportation Center (ferry terminal, bus station, or railroad station): At Union Station walk up State St. one block to Bank St. Go left on Bank one block. Go right on Golden one block to Information Station.
Union Railroad Station, 1888
DIRECTIONS: Walk toward river on Golden Street to Bank Street. Cross Bank. Go left to end then right.
Whale Oil Row, 1832 Houses
DIRECTIONS: Driving: South on Eugene O'Neill Drive to end. Right on Tilley Street. Go up hill on Huntington Street. Houses just beyond 2nd traffic light. Walking: North 1 block on Eugene O'Neill Drive. Left on State Street to top. Right onto Huntington Street. Houses just beyond Gov. Winthrop Boulevard. (.5 mile)